Everyone loves fun facts, so the American Association of Orthodontists, or AAO, has come up with some fun facts about orthodontics that our team at Sanborn Orthodontics though you might enjoy.
- There are nearly 4 million people in orthodontic treatment throughout the United States.
- The first mechanical treatment for correcting irregular teeth was suggested by Gaius Plinius Secundus (A.D. 23-79).
- The American Association of Orthodontists is comprised of more than 12,000 members in the United States, Canada and abroad.
- The time required to complete orthodontic treatment ranges from 12 to 36 months depending on the nature and severity of the problem.
- Of the 160,000 dentists in the United States and Canada, 8,000 are practicing orthodontists.
- The cement that attaches the braces to teeth is now made with a special fluoride-releasing substance.
- Wires activated by body heat used in today's braces originally were developed by NASA for use in the space program.
- In addition to alleviating or preventing physical health problems, orthodontics can boost self-esteem as treatment aligns teeth, jaws and lips.
Hope you enjoy these fun facts! Let us know of any other great facts you may know or find and give Sanborn Orthodontics a call if you have any questions about treatment!!!